Monday, July 30, 2012

Re-imagined!

The thrill of being a designer is spotting potential in a piece and bringing that idea to life.  When some people hear the word, "antique" they think of anything old, having some craftsmanship or emotional value. But to be antique, it must be at least 100 years old.  While this Duncan Phyfe inspired sofa is not an antique, it has been around since the 1950's. Having a love for the history of furniture, I have admired it for a long time. The person that gave it to me is very dear to my heart. The best tribute I can give for such a vintage piece is to invite it to share my world and rework to fit my space.  It will see its 100th birthday one day!
 This apple green matelasse fabric was a steal! First, I took all the fabric panels off the sofa and used them for my patterns. Next, the woodwork got a new life by sanding and staining a darker color.Once all the fabric was attached the cushions came next. They were time consuming, but with a huge payoff.
Finally,  trim was added to hide staples and finish the edges. I made one toss pillow and will no doubt make more. Now this sofa works well in my office and fits in my vibrant world.
 I love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment