Thursday, November 15, 2012

Whats cookin?

 Last summer my husband and I purchased an old house in Nashville and began the process of renovating it.   We had 3 months to get it move-in ready.   Our deadline was to get there before school started, as we were living 45 minutes away.   We took a 60's mid-century modern ranch house and gutted it!  The first project I want to share with you is my kitchen.

This is what it looked like before....





Obviously, my first solution involved a sledge hammer!  We opened everything up and started over.
After the whole house was demoed, we laid a rich plank wood flooring throughout.  To make the kitchen bigger, we replaced and raised the window by the kitchen table so there would be more counter space.   Once the walls were painted a teal blue, I had my carpenter install the cabinets that he custom made to my specs.

This is the new floor plan...





Simple and clean white cabinetry work perfectly with wood floors and blue walls. I made sure to bring the cabinets all the way to the ceiling so there was nothing to dust! Some of my favorite features that we put into this kitchen  are deep drawers, pull out drawers behind doors, lazy susan at both corners (under cabinet), single basin sink, granite counter tops, pull out spice rack, and stainless accents. I had my seamstress make the roman shades, and I installed the glass tile backsplash. The lighting has also changed. It was a ceiling fan and chandelier. Now the kitchen is washed with can lighting and highlighted with pendants at the bar.









Photography by: Marcie Kindred Photography

More renovation reveals soon to come!




4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you did all this in 3 months! This is my dream kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We were not living in this house when I did the main renovations, including the kitchen. That sure makes things easier.

      Delete
  2. You are so talented. Love the backsplash especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the backsplash! I need to do a tutorial on that soon!!

      Delete